Data section (was Re: Announcing a Debian wallpaper package.)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:13:11 +0200 (CEST), Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Steve Kemp wrote:
>
> >   I'm unclear exactly what you mean by a data section, an
> >   arch-independant section within the Debian repository for data-only
> >   packages?
> While searching the archive of debian-devel for "data section" in the
> year 2002 I found several entries:
>
>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200207/msg01536.html
>
>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200203/msg00847.html
>     (Just my first posting which ended in hints to the data section later in
>      the thread.)
>
>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200203/msg01113.html
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200203/msg01122.html
>
> Feel free to search for this keywords in the years before and you will find
> a lot of flamewars^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpostings regardings this topic.

Some general ramblings about a data section...

Iirc, a data section was in my Debian (would like) to do list post(s). I'd
like to get the ball rolling on this a bit by figuring out some of what is
in the archives already that might go into data. The next step would be
demonstrate the potential size of a data section using the existing data
packages.

I know there have been many flames about data files not being useful,
worthy of being in Debian, the right place for non-os files, anything but
cruft, of much use... The opencola ITP is an interesting example. The best
argument I've herd is that there's only so much space available to the
archive and it's mirrors. I think limiting things to reduce the usage of
Debian resources is a good idea in this case. Some guidelines should be
setup as to what shouldn't be in the archive (besides the DFSG, and don't
tell me common sense).

I think a Data section might need to be treated specially. Ibilio (at
http://www.ibiblio.org/ ) might provide a good off site location for a
larger Debian archive of data packages or even unpackaged datasets that
might be installed with Debian packages.

http://people.debian.org/~erich/packagebrowser/data.html lists an aptitude
set for Data files.

Documentation packages could be candidates for a data section.
http://people.debian.org/~erich/packagebrowser/doc.html

I searched google for "data OR font OR fonts OR fontdata unstable
site:packages.debian.org" as a quick way of doing preliminary research.

My preliminary research shows the following candidates:
gmt-tutorial
 -Data files needed to reproduce the tutorial examples of GMT
xtide-data
 -Harmonics data for xtide
gap4-gdat
 -Group data libraries for GAP4
gap4-tdat
 -Table data libraries for GAP4
gliese
 -Stellar data set from the Third Catalogue of Nearby Stars
pari-extra
 -PARI/GP Computer Algebra System extra data files
yale
 -Stellar data set from the Third Catalogue of Nearby Stars

font candidates:
dvi2ps-fontdata-a2n
dvi2ps-fontdata-bsr
dvi2ps-fontdata-ja