Re: Announcing a Debian wallpaper package.

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Steve Kemp wrote:

>   After a mention in the Debian weekly news I've received a lot
>  of interesting feedback, and the base package is now much improved.
Many thanks.

>   Would anybody care to recommend any freely distributable Debian
>  wallpaper images I could use?  I'd be keen to see the base
>  package, and a wallpapers-debian enter the archive at some point
>  in the future.
I would really like that.  Moreover I think you could add an xsceensaver
plugin to cycle these images as screen saver.

>   (If there are no *cough*bloat*cough* objections..)
No objections from my side, but some remarks:
  1. You should provide linux-sphere1.png instead of linux-sphere1.gif.
     (Not unly that gif sucks the png is in fact smaller in this special
  2. You should mention the origin from where you obtained this image
     from and add a license statement in the copyright file.
  3. Regarding those two images you obtained from my site I would strongly
     recommend to replace them.  I just uploaded a strange resolution
     for these images.
     Moreover I found a clue how to handle different screen resolutions.
     I tried to iron out this in a wallpapers-at package which is
     available at

     So in fact I would not ask you to replace the images in your package
     but just *use* my package with my images.  Feel free to provide this
     package at your side.  I do not plan to make an apt-get - able archive
     in the next couple of days, but I will add some further images if
     people like them.
     If you want to provide this wallpaper-at package from your side I
     should add a "{Depends|Suggests}: wallpaper-common", but I currently
     left this out because people who might step over the packages not
     necessarily know about your fine packages.

Kind regards and thanks for your good work

Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.
John F. Kennedy