Re: Apt-get for users

On Saturday 05 April 2003 18:38, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 05:34:57PM +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> >>Couldn't that be avoided (for most packages) with a LD_PRELOAD looks in
> >>$(HOME)/myroot/* before using /*?
> >
> > Can I puke now or do I have to wait until later?
>
> I don't want to claim that it's a good idea, it just seems to be what
> everyone else does (and hey, after all, didn't we tag clusters bad in FATs
> to have a place to store our encrypted directory data?).
> If you have time to waste though, I'd certainly be interested in why it's
> that appalling...

One thing that comes to mind: there's packages that want the real /etc because
they are installed globally, and there's packages that want the fake /etc
because the are installed in $HOME. How can you clearly distinguish these
cases? Even when a locally installed package internally calls a globally
installed one?

I think the suggestion of only doing this for source packages is the right
one.

cheers
-- vbi

--