Re: May I temporarily move away a conffile of a conflicting package? [Repost]

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:41:07PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:

> >> init script and cron-snippets are conffiles and "Conflicts" only
> >> guarantees uninstall but not purge.
>
> > Oh, you're not trying to get them both to install at once?
> > Replaces: exim, and have /etc/init.d/exim in both. You'll get standard
> > conffile handling.
>
> I want them as separate packages, to keep this functionality:
> 1 running exim3
> 2 apt-get install exim4
> 3 test exim4, doesn't like it
> 4 apt-get install exim
> 5 exim v3 runs again.

A Replaces directive and the same file in both would appear to be the
wya to go, then; it'll do what you just said. Plus, if the local admin
edits the init script in the meantime, they'll get the standard
message for conflicting conffile changes.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK