Re: Apt-get for users

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 08:33:05PM +0200, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 06:35:05PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > isn't there something floating around that allows for complete chroot
> > enviroinments per users? But then I think you have to be root to chroot
> > in the first place, so the admin at least has to allow to user to do so
> > by installing a suid wrapper to enter the chroot. Or something like
> > that. Don't take that too serious, just crossed my mind.
>
> user-mode-linux
> It is not in woody however (AFAIK). It runs a complete kernel in
> userspace, and doesn't need root privileges. Apparently some people are
> using it to completely isolate users from each other.

That would be far to demanding on most machines. One, maybe two instances
might go down well, but that would be just about it.

--
Lars Bahner: http://lars.bahner.com/; Voice: +4792884492; Fax: +4792974492

1024D/5DE6C5D6 1998-08-07 Lars Bahner <lars@bahner.com>
Key fingerprint = A913 7B54 E5FC 804D C12B  18DE 493D 83DE 5DE6 C5D6