Re: May I temporarily move away a conffile of a conflicting package? [Repost]

Andreas Metzler wrote:

>   2 move the respective file to $file.exim4disabled and generate a new
>     $file that basically says "This file has been temporarily renamed,
>     see $file.exim4disabled for the original one"

when the user removes exim4 and restores exim3, exim3 will not work in
this case. the whole idea of removing is to allow the package to be
re-installed w/o losing your configuration.

if you did this, perhaps a debconf note would be good, since the admins
expectations would be false.

-john