Re: should I orphan linux-wlan-ng?

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 12:04:50AM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> #include <hallo.h>
> * Matt Zimmerman [Tue, Apr 01 2003, 09:00:35AM]:
> > This makes no difference.  The kernel modules are already built by a
> > separate target in debian/rules.  Only the control file needs to be changed
> > to produce the correct package name.
> >
> > You have not described any need for -source packages which would not be
> > equally met by a tool like apt-src.
>
> No. There is a difference, and that is why I refuse to accept apt-src
> (at least now) as the panacea. With -source packages, it is very easy to
> use functionality of apt-get, while apt-src does not provide really much
> more than apt-get's "source" command.

Then work on improving it instead of hassling others for not doing things
the way that you want.

>  - You want to get multiple source packages? You install them with
>    apt-get and run "unp *.tar.gz" in /usr/src. Similarly simple solution
>    with apt-src? I fail to see one, not until there will be a simple
>    script of apt-src extension.

What problem did you have exactly?

>  - Some modules do not build with the current kernel, but you wanna to
>    move them out of the way temporarily? Just remove the directory in
>    /usr/src/modules, you can always extract it. Sure, doable with
>    apt-src as well but with less comfort.

Why would you move around directories instead of using make-kpkg
--added-modules?  This sounds like a brute force approach, and I see no
reason to perpetuate it.

>  - You need to update the source? You run apt-get upgrade as usual and
>  reexecute "unp *.tar.gz". This will _replace_ the old source while with
>  apt-src AFAICS you would have to clean the old sources

No, it won't.  It will unpack the new source on top of the old source.  If
you want a clean source tree, you need to remove the old one first anyway.

> manually.  Oh, of course you can play with its clean command together with
> --location etc., but it is NOT SMOOTH. Oh, and you do not even need to
> think about the upgrades, you will just see it in apt-listchanges and
> remember to rebuild your modules package.

Smoothness comes with maturity.  I, for one, would be pleased to see more
integrated handling of source packages in Debian.  Clinging to the current
hack will only impair progress.

Upgrades are, in fact, a big hassle with -source packages.  The source
usually comes in archive form, and needs to be unpacked.  The unpacked
source tree then does not necessarily correspond to the tarball after an
upgrade.  There is a lot of manual intervention.

>  - Oh, and most distributed Debian CDs do not contain source packages,
>    so you have to get a link to internet first. Imagine, you are on
>    dialup with Debian CD#1 and you need sl-modem-source (modem driver),
>    there is no other way to internet, what do you do? Curse the chicken,
>    curse the egg or those how make them depend on each other?

Neither of these is an inherent flaw in the apt-src approach.

> Well, apt-src can serve for the most purposes. But before you cut the
> line and force to use it, first make your solution equal!

Bah.  Software doesn't emerge from the womb fully developed.  This kind of
thing should be tested on live packages sooner, rather than later, in order
to determine what works best in the real world.

--
 - mdz