Re: [desktop] Improving "user-friendly" in some console applications

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 06:51:49PM -0500, Jean-Michel Kelbert wrote:
> On 03/03/16 at 18:41 Don Armstrong (don@donarmstrong.com) wrote :
> > On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Jean-Michel Kelbert wrote:
> > > For exemple, on Mandrake less permit him to show html, tar.gz... not
> > > on Debian.
> >
> > This is done by setting the LESSOPEN and/or LESSCLOSE env. variables.
> >
> > Read /usr/share/doc/less/LESSOPEN for information on how to set this up.
>
> I know how to do it. What I suggest is that it would be a good idea to
> improve configuration files on some console applications. :)

Improve ... sounds good but getting consensus from different focus people
within Debian will be ... mmmmm ... difficult and messy.

Making policy violating package to tweak other packages will not be
popular approach and may not be manageable.

> It is not only an idea for vim and less, but for some commonly used
> console applications.

I realized one option to address this issue with minimum impact to the
current distribution is to use configuration script like the one used to
customize for l10n.

Package: language-env
Maintainer: Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>

This helps people to configure their account nicely.

Maybe add module to this package to add not only l10n but also basic
system configuration such s LESS-thingy.

I am not too much lover of this package but this is one way for me to
get an reference configuration to my .bashrc and/or .bash_profile by the
expert.

So anyone is annoyed enough for Debian default environment variable
settings, this may be the package for you to hack.

Good luck and cheers.

Osamu