Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

"Matt Ryan" <mryan@debian.org> writes:

> > No, the point is that several people do and the debian tools then
> > break and needs special attention and ugly workarounds.
>
> Several people who want non-standard configurations can manage this
> themselves. NO compelling argument has been forthcoming to suggest this will
> benefit the vast majority of users. Any change in that case should be
> resisted.

Do you have any numbers of how many users do use knoppix for example?
Given its popularity lately that should be a sizeable amount and
shouldn't be ignored just because something would need to be changed
to cope with the read-only / situation too.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: If one user wants a change that doesn't hurt anything else and if
someone is willing to do the work that enough reason for me.