Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 02:46:31AM +0100, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > > Only place it could go (same with /etc/mtab, /etc/mdtab, /etc/lvmtab)
> > > would be a state-fs in the kernel thats similar to the devfs or ramfs.
> > That would be a kernel dependent solution, and hence only a partial
> > solution.
>
> Only possible solution. No physical filesystem is garantied writeable
> or even existing so a virtual one is needed.
>
> The best idea was to write a one-file-filesystem that behaves just
> like a normal file. You just mount it on /etc/mtab or
> /etc/network/ifstate and no software would have to be changed at all.
>
> Only difference would be that its in ram and changes get lost on
> reboot unles saved somewhere else, which would be prefered anyway.

	Your one-file-filesystem to be mounted on /etc/mtab already
	exists. Just use tmpfs and bind mounts.

	The reason this gets resistance is because not everyone runs
	Linux 2.4. So just specify "/run is writable and will be empty
	(or emptied) on bootup".

	As I understand it, most of the discussion is about what
	should go to /run and what to /var/run -- and I think there's
	a rough consensus that everything goes to /var/run, except for
	the things that are needed before /var is accessible (much
	like /usr/bin).

	Is there still something unclear I failed to summarize? This
	thread is starting to have too much talk and too little
	implementation. I want to have a ro root cleanly, and don't
	want this effort to fade.

--