Re: standard for executable files under /usr/share

Joey Hess wrote:
> Santiago Vila wrote:
> > For template files (like /usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/*), we
> > could make policy (if it's not already) that files should not be
> > executable unless they are really meant to be executed.
>
> Are you implying that debhelper gets this wrong there?

Of course not, since /usr/share/debhelper/autoscripts/* are not
executable. Quite the opposite: I was using debhelper as an example of
package which already follows this policy, meaning that making this
policy will surely not suddenly make a lot of packages buggy.

> Not in any debhelper debs I have. Such a policy it patently self
> obvious, IMHO.

Yes, but what is obvious for one person does not always have to be obvious
for another person. That's one of the reasons why we have policy.