Re: resolv.conf Was: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On 14 Mar 2003 14:56:40 -0600, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> > I think that for DHCP users, we should have a lightweight caching-only
> > DNS server running on the local machine. /etc/resolv.conf should point to
> > this resolver, and the various DHCP clients should notify the
> > caching-only DNS server of changes.
>
> Go for it.  Do you think you will have this in place before the next
> release?  If not, we still need to coordinate use of resolv.conf.

pdnsd works well for this, especially with the recent change to allow
automatic updating by ppp (which could be used by a DHCP client too).

I use it here, so my resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1 and every time my ppp
connection comes up pdnsd gets told the new IP addresses to use as DNS
servers. This helps a lot with squid...

Stephen