Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> I wrote:
> > It certainly does.  Are you interested in starting a discussion of what
> > to do with it?  If so we need to involve the maintainers of the various
> > dhcp packages and the ppp maintainer.
>
> Marco d'Itri writes:
>
> > You need to talk with the glibc upstream and tell them that the resolver
> > as it has been used forever is broken.
>
> A long-term (and probably hopeless) project.  I just want to coordinate
> with other maintainers of packages that mess with resolv.conf so that we
> can stop stepping on each other.

Actually, I believe that changing /etc/resolv.conf is completely
broken, whether or not resolv.conf is in /etc or anywhere else.

The problem is that the glibc resolver only reads /etc/resolv.conf
once. Long running applications are not notified when resolv.conf
change and will still send queries to the old name servers. And I hate
having to close and reopen mozilla (or anything else) whenever I hop
around networks with a laptop.

I think that for DHCP users, we should have a lightweight caching-only
DNS server running on the local machine. /etc/resolv.conf should point
to this resolver, and the various DHCP clients should notify the
caching-only DNS server of changes.

Phil.