Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Emile van Bergen wrote:
> /mem/tmp alone would be, yes.
>
> But the combination of /mem, /mem built from a skeleton at bootup,
> /mem/run, /mem/preserved that may be copied back and *possibly* a mode
> 1777 /mem/tmp, is a solution for:
>
> - the ifstate and/or dhcp vs. networked var problem

Except I don't think we need it for that.

> - things that must be cleaned at boot

Already solved by /var/run.

> - less important differences between tmpfs, shmfs, ramfs and ext2-on-ramdisk

Could be solved in an even more generic fashion by a mountram program
that astracted away the ever-changing linux implementaton details and
let it be mounted anywhere.

> - readonly / or /etc

Yeah, maybe. I do something similar on my readonly system, but then I
didn't have to modify the fhs to do it, just make symlinks.

> - laptop disk spinups

Already dealt with by other programs that have less administrative
overhead.

> - applications that think they're smarter than the kernel in deciding
>   how long their files should live and whether it should ever go through
>   block allocation on a disk-based fs. (Whether they're right in that
>   should indeed be judged on a per-application basis).

No examples given.

> I'm implementing it in three scripts right now.
>
> The first one is an /etc/init.d/mountmem, intended to be linked to from
> /etc/rcS.d/S09mountmem (just before checkroot), that mounts /mem either
> as tmpfs, shmfs, ramfs or ext2 on /dev/ram0 or /dev/ram1, depending on
> what's available, or not at all; SLASHMEMTYPE in /etc/default/rcS can
> be used to specify the types to be tried in any desired order.
>
> The second is /etc/init.d/initmem, that empties and inits /mem --
> whatever it is, wherever it is -- from a skeleton at startup, and is
> intended to be linked to from /etc/rcS.d/S36initmem.sh.
>
> The third is /etc/init.d/savemem, that saves /mem/preserved back to
> its corresponding directory in the skeleton, and is intended to be
> linked to from /etc/rcS.d/S301savemem, between S30urandom and
> S31umountnfs.sh.

I already have programs along a similar lines in my unreleased
flashhybrid package.
<http://cvs.kitenet.net/joey-cvs/public/packages/flashybrid/> (you can
click on download tarball) No policy changes were needed to create this
package.

--
see shy jo