Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:08:52PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > So what do I do when I'm writing an application or script that likes to
> > use a ram-based fs if any is available?
>
> Then you are probably second-guessing the kernel's disk caching, and
> should be using /tmp or something instead.

The difference between /tmp and a mode 1777 directory in /mem is that
the capacity/speed tradeoff may be different for each.

/tmp is reasonably sized in many cases, and therefore not necessarily a
good candidate to hold in virtual memory except if you have plenty.

Oracle unpacks it huge installer into /tmp (or $TMPDIR, admitted), for
example.

Allowing applications to tell the admin whether they prefer space
or speed by their choice between /tmp and /mem/tmp makes the choice
where to put /tmp and /mem easier for the admin.

/tmp on disk, except if you have lots of memory
/mem in memory, except if you have very little memory or no kernel support

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl