Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

In article <[🔎] 20030312124745.GB27390@azure.humbug.org.au>,
Anthony Towns  <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:45:48AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> So, it would be better to mount /run automatically without an
>> /etc/fstab entry, since it's hard to say what that entry is.
>> Besides, for a ramdisk, you still need to mkfs a filesystem on
>> it before mounting it, so it's all special case code anyway.
>
>We are in a position where we can cheat, though. Since we don't
>automatically support read-only root partitions, we can just make /run
>be on the root fs, and assume that admins who've already demonstrated
>enough cleverness to cope with /etc/motd, /etc/network/ifstate,
>/lib/modules/*/modules.* and so forth can cope with adding an fstab
>entry for /run.

I agree. In that case, we don't need to worry about 2.2 kernels
and ramdisks either; just state 'use a 2.4 kernel with tmpfs
(Virtual memory file system support) enabled'. And the debian kernels
should enable it by default (it's very small as it is just an
extension on the always-builtin shm support).

Only things left to be done:

- Enable CONFIG_TMPFS in default debian kernels
- Include /run in sysvinit
- Mount /run ASAP if it is a seperate filesystem
- Clean /run as soon as it is read/write.
- On installation of sysvinit offer to put /run as tmpfs in fstab
  automatically if the kernel supports it

Mike.
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should
on no account be allowed to do the job -- Douglas Adams.