Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:45:48AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> So, it would be better to mount /run automatically without an
> /etc/fstab entry, since it's hard to say what that entry is.
> Besides, for a ramdisk, you still need to mkfs a filesystem on
> it before mounting it, so it's all special case code anyway.

We are in a position where we can cheat, though. Since we don't
automatically support read-only root partitions, we can just make /run
be on the root fs, and assume that admins who've already demonstrated
enough cleverness to cope with /etc/motd, /etc/network/ifstate,
/lib/modules/*/modules.* and so forth can cope with adding an fstab
entry for /run.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''