Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

also sprach Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> [2003.03.11.0959 +0100]:
> Does it really make sense to preserve anything in /run? That is, is
> there anything that both needs to be available before /var, and
> needs to be preserved over reboot?

I don't think so.

> I guess /etc/mtab, /etc/network/ifstate, /etc/motd and maybe
> /etc/ioctl.save (wtf is that?) should all move in there?

/etc/adjtime

How feasible is this for Debian to do without FHS backup? If not, then
we should draft a proposal to the FHS folk pushing /run.

(I's still prefer /state because it's more obvious, but if /var/state
is being replaced by /var/run, there has to be a rationale, so we'll
go with it.)

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc