Re: New OpenLDAP 2.1 preview

    Torsten> Hi *,
    Torsten> On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:09:40AM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
    Torsten> Excuse me, but normally I would expect an admin who
    Torsten> installs slapd to want to create a directory. I don't
    Torsten> think we should change that aspect of the postinst.
    >>  He said 'insist'... Ie, don't FORCE the creation of a
    >> directory...
    >>
    >> Just check a variable "Create DB [Y/n] ?" -> if no, don't
    >> start/restart slapd...
    >>
    >> Want a patch?

    Torsten> Not really. It's not really a problem to implement
    Torsten> that. I think I made my position clear - I don't want to
    Torsten> do this.

I never said (or implied) you couldn't do it. I just assumed that you didn't
have the time...

    Torsten> I just want to make sure that slapd can be run after
    Torsten> installation.

Why? I, as an administrator, say "no, I don't want to create a database now, I
want to wait". Then I'm perfectly aware that it won't get started after installation.
My choice. If you ask the admin/installer, then we both get what we want. I get
the possibility to install slapd without having to extract and construct the
database, and you can make sure slapd is started after installation. Not at
the same time though :)

Put the question at level 'high', with default to 'yes', and everyone should
be happy.

    Torsten> Even if somebody convinces me to implement this
    Torsten> misfeature, it will still have to wait until the
    Torsten> important packaging stuff is done.

Well, you don't GAIN much by enforcing you point, you just won't help me
'and that other dude that wanted this' (to lazy to find out who it was :).
But our way (level 'high' etc) will even make US happy, without making
anyone sorry (except you that have to code it :).

--
CIA Ft. Meade Peking president genetic FBI toluene assassination
colonel $400 million in gold bullion Rule Psix Serbian Uzi 767