Re: New OpenLDAP 2.1 preview

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:11, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> Josip Rodin wrote:
> > From what I have seen, bdb allows you to specify "limits" statements,
> > which are handy for controlling the output. I've also seen that ldbm
> > doesn't like the "allow_v2" statement, but that might be handled some
> > other way, I didn't investigate.
>
> With back_bdb it is also allowed to run slapcat while slapd is running
> so that you can do "hot backups" (AFAIK).

I was under the impression that you could already do that with ldbm now if you
desired.

However there is the issue of data consistancy.  If I have a slave LDAP server
that I want to regenerate then the proceedure surely has to be:
1)  Stop master.
2A)  slapcat
2B)  rm replog files for the slave to be regenerates
3)  Stop the slave in question (or at least stop it accepting updates from the
master).
4)  Restart master.
5)  slapadd on slave and restart slave.

If I fail to do steps 1, 2B, and 3 then surely I'll end up with a slave that's
in an inconsistant state and therefore can't be properly synchronised.

Or is there some new database synchronisation method for OpenLDAP 2.1 that
deals with this issue by not using a simple LDIF file for the replication
data?