Re: New OpenLDAP 2.1 preview

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 08:39:53PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > A first trial in getting ready-to-install OpenLDAP 2.1 packages ready
> > can be found on
> >
> > 	http://people.debian.org/~torsten/openldap2.1/
> >
> > I'd like to get some feedback on this. I asked Roland to upload these
> > to experimental after checking if they are okay for him. A lot is left
> > for the unstable upload, at least
>
> One feature I would like to see is the option to have it not insist on
> creating a new directory.  Sometimes I install slapd before I have an ldif
> file handy...

The old packages didn't insist.

> Also what is the difference between 2.0 and 2.1 apart from BDB?  What
> benefits does BDB offer?  Is it faster for slapadd/slapcat?

>From what I have seen, bdb allows you to specify "limits" statements, which
are handy for controlling the output. I've also seen that ldbm doesn't like
the "allow_v2" statement, but that might be handled some other way, I didn't
investigate.

Also, the slapd in 2.1 seems to be a tad more sane than the one in 2.0 when
it comes to logging. It's still totally fucked up when you make a syntax
error in slapd.conf (only logs such errors with higher loglevels!), but it's
not as bad as 2.0.

> Is 2.1 faster than 2.0 for slapadd?  slapadd is excessively slow on 2.0
> and is single-threaded so it can't take advantage of multiple CPUs.

You haven't seen it on slowaris... :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.