Re: STOP! Re: Warning: glibc 2.3.1 entering testing soon

At Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:21:59 +0100,
Matthias Klose wrote:
> > glibc 2.3.1-14 should be entering testing "tomorrow" (sometime around 30
> > hours from now, depending on your mirror). Along with it, some 800 other
> > source packages and all their binaries are expected to be updated. For
> > those of you running testing systems, please take care of the next few
> > days' upgrades, as a number of things *will* break.
>
> You'll make m68k unusable with this migration at this time. binutils
> is broken, gcc-3.2 doesn't build and the outdated version for m68k
> generates wrong code for at least bash and coreutils above -O0.

<For developers who do not know m68k gcc issue well>
  It's not glibc fault, but gcc-3.2/binutils issue.  Stopping movement
  of glibc into sarge is not appropriate decision.
</For...>

> Go ahead and remove m68k from the architectures which will be
> releasable for sarge.

I fully agree.

> - The binutils testsuite currently fails 46 out of 99 tests. One
>   grave bug report is outstanding. I'm currently down to 10 failures,
>   but there should be 0.
>
> - gcc-3.2 doesn't bootstrap since December. In unstable, bootstrapping
>   in woody does work.
>
> - bash and coreutils are miscompiled at -O1 and above. These are known
>   failures. How many are unknown?
>
> - #175526 was filed against libc6 for m68k. Until today nobody did
>   show correct test results.

My build gcc-3.2 in January using gcc-2.95 in first stage with
glibc-2.3.1 shows less error reports (but currently this m68k build
machine is down, so I can't show you the result).  Fixing gcc-3.2 is
the first task for resolving #175526.

> I don't know, which versions of the above packages will be moved to
> testing. So my arguments may be invalid against the migration of m68k
> packages to testing (but I didn't read about m68k exceptions in your
> announcement).

When m68k gcc-3.2/binutils is back to sane state?

Regards,
-- gotom