Re: Manpages translation

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:03:56PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:

> Package translators have no responsability at all within Debian, they are
> just bug submitters.

Agreed. I would leave it up to the translation coordinators to either
accept or reject manpages/po/whatever translations. IMHO we need to setup a
group of translation coordinators for every language which are responsible
for the translation stuff in _all_ Debian i18n/l10n issues for their
language.

However, we currently only have them for the website. I.e:
http://www.debian.org/devel/website/translation_coordinators

Even if some teams to have translation coordinators for all of the other
tasks (some of which I think that have them are: french, spanish,
german...) there's no official backup for these. I.e there's no:
http://www.debian.org/international/translation_coordinators

And maintainers, due to this, might fail to see who should they contact
with when an issue arises in translating X to language Y. For example, when
they get a bug report providing a debconf/manpage/po translation they
cannot forward it to the translation coordinators for review.

Regards

Javi

PS: Maintainers _do_ get crappy translations sent out as bug reports by
people who help on translating but only do so occasionally.