Re: r/o root filesystem?

Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
[...]
> I don't think policy says anything about this,
[...]

FHS say that /etc/ is supposed to contain static data, but of course
this only applies to normal operation, i.e. it is perfectly ok to
write to /etc/ on bootup.

interesting files: mtab, modules.conf, passwd/shadow, /etc/resolv.conf
(dhcp), adjtime, asound.state. - Find is your friend.

> The files edited in /etc seem to be /etc/motd and /etc/nologin.
> Either we move these files to /var or we accept that DELAYLOGIN and
> EDITMOTD are implicitly false when / is read-only and just hide the
> errors with 2>/dev/null.

> The trickier stuff are the various places that assume /dev is writable.
[...]

Use devfs.
             cu andreas