Re: debconf template translation

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:59:37PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:29:12PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > I don't like manpage-LANG, ... packages.
>
> Yeah, me neither. Their principal benefit right now is that as long as
> relatively few people have localized man pages we have a hope of sorting
> the encoding issues out. I'm working on code for man-db at the moment
> which throws the current broken encoding calculations out of the window
> and does it all from scratch; we may have to make a few alterations once
> all this has settled.

oh, thanks I don't know this groff problems...

> I plan to try to hammer out the worst encoding problems over the next
> few months. As this progresses it may become necessary to contact

thanks

> changes. I hope not, but it's possible. In the meantime I very strongly
> recommend that man page authors follow the advice in groff_char(7) and
> use only named characters certainly for anything outside ISO-8859-1, and
> if possible for anything outside 7-bit US-ASCII, with the exception of
> multibyte (CJK) languages. If there are problems with this, contact me.]

this is not a real problem for the translators who use the DDTS. The
DDTS store this all in the db and the translator can use any encoding.

The translated man pages will be produced from the data in the db per
script and this script must follow this rules...

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"Manchmal ist es besser zu schweigen und die anderen glauben zu lassen, man sei