Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:17:33AM -0500, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> >"our users" refers to people who *are* users of Debian, not to some
> >indefinite market segment we might wish to capture in the future.
> >
> But don't you think an underpaid Doctor who work all day for healing a
> serius desease for a 3th world country and only have 2 hours a day to
> sit in his computer  have the rigth to enjoy GNU/Debian as much as a 15
> year old boy who spend 10 hours a day investigating the system?
> Don't you think these kind of persons are a user segment that debian
> should enforce to please to.
>
> What social contribution are you talking about then? Are you making this
> system just to please yourself?

Blah blah blah.  Everyone has the right to use linux; which
distibution they use is a choice they should make based on criteria
known only to them.  Why should debian care if someone decides to use
RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE, Slackware, Gentoo ... I really, really do not
understand this mentality.  What's wrong with the current situation,
where people install Mandrake and RedHat first because the install is
"easy"[1]; when they want something more powerful many move to debian.

debian will probably never be as popular in commercial environments as
RedHat, for the obvious reason that many commercial entities want
another commercial entity to talk to, blame, etc.  Of course, HP's
recent announcement that all internal development will happen using
debian is an interesting twist, and may prove me wrong.

[1] I never found other distros much easier to install than debian,
but then I'm probably one of these elitist jerks you despise as I've
been running linux in some form since 1994 or so.

  GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
  impossible to accomplish complex actions.
          -- Doug Gwyn