Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 08:59:36AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > actively exclude participation, but we should be sure that the
> > participants that become an official part of the Debian project are
> > willing, able, and interested in helping improve the project.
>
> How, exactly, do you feel that the new-maintainer process fails this
> objective?

By having such low standards for admission that *anybody* can join the
project, even if all they do is maintain some silly dockapp for some
window manager.

The more software is in Debian, the more people work on Debian, the
harder it becomes to get everything into sync across all the
architecures supported by Debian.  Many of our users have expressed
dissatisfaction at our slow release cycle, but I don't see us addressing
their concerns at all.  Package pools and testing were supposed to do
that, but now it's the new installer that holds us up.  After the new
installer will come something else.

The Debian project is too large and unweildy and it won't get any better
if it continues on its current course.

noah