Re: Future of Debian uncertain?

[snip]
And for the rest of these issues, I think we as developers/maintainers
need to make our users aware that there are standard ways we deal with
these issues. Big fonts in the default gnome install isn't a sign of
armageddon, but rather a cause to file a bug report. Bug reports are
how we fix issues in Debian, and issues do in fact get fixed. The rest
of us on the list know this, but somehow it escapes a lot of users.
Many users don't even know the BTS exists (I know this from personal
experience on #debian), and making them familiar with it is a part of
the transition from being a Linux user to being a Debian user.

 - David

Excellent point. I had the same issue with Debian advocacy amongst the
local users. Maybe we should have a splash screen mention BTS during the installation, and then a reminder for every desktop system 1st time launch? A lot is done already with the debianized default bookmarks
on Debian Support in the browser pkgs like Mozilla.

I've just re-read my own post before hitting send and started disagreeing with myself :-) There are very visible links from www.debian.org to Debian Support (#debian, BTS, mailing lists). Maybe if a user is as clueless that it (as opposed to he or she for a more intelligent one) can't pass this low barrier of RTFMing, it's good because otherwise a lot of energy would have been drawn off real support issues for other users. So maybe we shouldn't be too aggressive in shoving support onto the luser.

Now if the project ever grows to a lot of front-line support volunteer personnel, the barrier can and should be lowered, maybe even to the point that a system might even suggest contacting debian support in case the user has any concerns about the system operation, and then the support front-line will gradually guide the user through RTFMing, thus even seducing into Debian usage those types of people that would otherwise never approach the system. I think this is better way for evolution towards usability by more people, rather than going into MS-ish number-of-features-and-hot-new-software-available-right-from-the-oven type hype. If anyone thinks it's worth it, feel free to fwd the suggestions to debian-project, I'm still very new to the Debian inner organizational innards to judge if such approach is viable in any near future. While it is not, let's keep the barrier of learning about Debian support right about where it is.

Vassilii