Future of Debian !uncertain

(Im starting a new thread, so I can push this off in another direction, without
killing off the first thread.)

The future of debian is quite certain, if you ask me. Its staying on my
harddrive. Even with all the flaws it has (I know it has some, I just havent
found any showstopping ones yet), its loads better then our "competition."

RPM distros suffer from the fact that most packages built either are built
wrong, based on unstable code to begin with (rh's gcc 2.96), have incorrect
dependencies, have insane dependancies, etc.

With Debian, even with sid, I have to wait months for the larger packages to
get done. (Redhat/Mandrake have rpms out much much faster.) The problem is,
even with the first revision of the packages, they are done correctly, and have
few bugs related to the actual packaging itself. I dont have to worry about
upgrading X casuing my computer to burst into flames. Nor do I have to worry
about my harddrive taking a walk due to a kernel upgrade. Now, I will admit sid
has had problems, but no where near as bad as any redhat/mandrake stable
release.

If lusers wish to take the abuse from not having clueful developers, an actual
bug tracking system that works, correctly packaged software, or a distro that
isnt broken on installation, let them run something else. It will be like a
virtual beating with a cluebat. Then, hopefully, they will start running a more
sane distro like Debian.

And such, I dont think we should be wasting huge ammounts of time supporting
clueless users who have no concept of rtfm, or are even aware of the existence
of said manual, or ones that are abusive to our volunteer tech support staff.
We also shouldnt be spending extensive time advertising/evangelizing debian to
the mass public, because we might be attracting the wrong people. Debian isnt
an exclusive bofh only club, but it isnt populated by morons, either.

I also agree that we have alot of maintainers, but there is nothing wrong with
having more. I know of several peices of software that I want to be packaged,
and I dont have time myself to do. If clueful people want to do the packaging
of that software, let them. It improves the quality of Debian overall.

But, sadly, I also agree that we dont have enough QA types, or other kinds of
non-maint developers. That is something that should be corrected asap, imho.
The reason redhat and mandrake (and other distros like that) look so good to
newbies, is because they have nice tools like autodetection of hardware, and
other nice things. (Stuff that clueful people dont exactly need, but are nice
to have around anyhow. Provides a certain ammount of eyecandy Debian doesnt
have yet.)

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || unknown@panax.com