Re: magazine packaging

Hi.

Kevin Rosenberg wrote:
> That's an interesting thought. One disadvantage of a archive of issues
> is that it would have to be redownloaded everytime an a new issue is
> added to the archive. Though separate issues do increase the size of
> the Packages file, they reduce the need to download updates to
> multi-megabyte archives
I'm not an expert nor a developer, but if they are to be in the archive, how
about learning from classic libraries: A good compromise might be having a
package for every year (or so) and seperate packages for the current year's (or
whatever's) issues. After the year (...) is over, move stuff into a package to
replace individual issues.

>>>Would it make more sense to instead make an installer that can download
>>>desired issues? (The same installer could then be used for Linux
>>>Gazette, ridding us of many packages.)
> Web browsers are fine if you have an fast, persistent internet
> connection. I often travel with my laptop without network
> connectivity.
Depending on the amount of textual content to be packaged (e.g. if open content
books become really common), it might also be worth considering seperating that
from "Debian GNU/Linux". (I count at least some 40 books (including translations
and various formats) when I go through the output of apt-cache search for book
and my personal bookmark file has at least as many potential additions.)
I know that efforts that collect what can be collected already exists, but there
doesn't seem to be a way to access the results as easy as accessing debian
packages is.. (Including, for example, the ability to turn anything you can
download in a set of CDs/DVDs in a fairly comfortable way.)

Cheers

Thomas