Re: magazine packaging

Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> I'm not an expert nor a developer, but if they are to be in the
> archive, how about learning from classic libraries: A good
> compromise might be having a package for every year (or so) and
> seperate packages for the current year's (or whatever's)
> issues. After the year (...) is over, move stuff into a package to
> replace individual issues.

Yes, that is a compromise. And one could make the decision to group by
quarters, years, or multiyear segments depending upon how people judge
the cost of a package entry vs. the cost of grouping issues together,
some of which may be desired and some of which may not.

> Depending on the amount of textual content to be packaged (e.g. if
> open content books become really common), it might also be worth
> considering seperating that from "Debian GNU/Linux". (I count at
> least some 40 books (including translations and various formats)
> when I go through the output of apt-cache search for book and my
> personal bookmark file has at least as many potential additions.)  I
> know that efforts that collect what can be collected already exists,
> but there doesn't seem to be a way to access the results as easy as
> accessing debian packages is.. (Including, for example, the ability
> to turn anything you can download in a set of CDs/DVDs in a fairly
> comfortable way.)

Yes, a group could make a separate, apt respository for text documents
that is outside of Debian.

--
       Kevin Rosenberg        |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
  http://b9.com/debian.html   | : :' :      The  universal