Re: [internal-projects] [Debian-multimedia] Start an official internal project!

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 03:39:40PM -0400, marco trevisani wrote:
> Brutal...it is ok as long it helps to make clarify the ideas.
>
> DeMuDi has never stopped, just to little resources and few people
> (almost only guenter geiger -also a debian maintainer- on the tech
> side). This makes hard to keep alive a project and i think that if we
> want get poeple interested in contributing the Debian project is the
> way to go.

This is a typical egg-chicken problem. If it appears dead, it will not
find helpers; and it will be dead wihout helpers. Yes, yes, we all know
that.

> > We have currently 5 well-known sub-projects, debian-multimedia could be a
> > new one, but you must define many things to clarify what's a multimedia project.
> > I see only woody-related stuffi there. This is a non-sense. We cannot
> > work on stable, too many things are now different among woody and sid.
> > Packaging needs to be done on sid. A meta-package could be ideal.
>
> yes you are right...but demudi has an unstable part which is very
> unstable...and we have started to work.

Unstable is unstable. Use 'experimental' if you are seriously concerned
about stability. Anyway, packages need to be installed as wide as
possible. More eyes look at them, more bugs they find. Keeping it
off sid does not help.

> As for DD.
> Guenter Geiger is a DD, who actually made most of the work, and im'
> goign to apply...i spent (still not over) two days in reading all
> policies and documentation, i feel like being back to school, which is
> a nice feeling indeed...:-)

Yep, I saw this by looking in pkgs .dscs just after my last msg.

> Guenter is going to submit to wnpp what has been done till now.

Well done.

> we are working only on free software, i dont see the license problem
> you mention, so please let me know. Fsf Europe, which is part of the
> project is backing up and checking all software.

Eg mplayer stuff... woops! No flames please :)

> We have been without sysadm for a while, and one was just hired few
> days ago...ML are actually there, just a wrong link. It must be fixed
> absolutely of course.

Good news.

> cvs.agnula.org has already this.
> We had, at some point to leave this alone because of network problem
> that server had (edisontel bad line...:-(( ) but it is there, with
> mainly all the application packaged.
> Agnula also host the sid version of demudi. It is not advertised
> because of the network problems (beside its actual excess of
> instablility...:-))

I see. It's quite frustrating contacting that site.
Again, use public infrastructures, they are working and available.
You could also try savannah if FSF folks agrees and you are concerning
about SF policies.

> In fact my idea of integrating it comes really because DeMuDi is much
> alilve and we have difficulties to keep it up to date...
>
> I dont know, maybe i'm missing something, but...did i say something
> wrong or bad? To me i would sound interesting if a multimedia project
> would start in Debian.Yes i indeed agree that a more technical email
> with a clear description of objectives, goal and what has been
> achieved till now will be send...and i was actually work on that....
>
> Thanks for the comments, even if brutals they are useful.

Ok, we all are waiting for a more tech sounding doc ;-)
Proposals, state-of-the-art, todos, etc.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine