Re: /etc/network/interfaces & point-to-point ethernet & broadcast address

This one time, at band camp, Josip Rodin wrote:
>The ip(8) weenies are the ones who should stop making up stories about how
>ifconfig is hopelessly deprecated and write a manual page for ip(8).
>
>It seems to be one of the more popular sports, esp. on usenet. A newbie says
>"I can't configure my ethernet card!", and half a dozen people respond "Use
>ip, it's the way of the future!". Sheesh.

willow% ip
Usage: ip [ OPTIONS ] OBJECT { COMMAND | help }
where  OBJECT := { link | addr | route | rule | neigh | tunnel |
                   maddr | mroute | monitor }
       OPTIONS := { -V[ersion] | -s[tatistics] | -r[esolve] |
                    -f[amily] { inet | inet6 | ipx | dnet | link } | -o[neline] }
willow% ip addr eth0
Command "eth0" is unknown, try "ip address help".
willow% ip addr help
Usage: ip addr {add|del} IFADDR dev STRING
       ip addr {show|flush} [ dev STRING ] [ scope SCOPE-ID ]
                            [ to PREFIX ] [ FLAG-LIST ] [ label PATTERN ]
IFADDR := PREFIX | ADDR peer PREFIX
          [ broadcast ADDR ] [ anycast ADDR ]
          [ label STRING ] [ scope SCOPE-ID ]
SCOPE-ID := [ host | link | global | NUMBER ]
FLAG-LIST := [ FLAG-LIST ] FLAG
FLAG  := [ permanent | dynamic | secondary | primary |
           tentative | deprecated ]
willow% zippy
HOLY CRAP!! ip HAS HELP BUILT IN and the SYNTAX looks ALMOST LIKE that of
ifconfig AND route!  SHEESH!
willow%

--
jaq@debian.org                               http://people.debian.org/~jaq