Re: Recent glibc time_t redefinition?

On 03-Feb-03, 17:53 (CST), Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:02:18PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > I don't think you call it "introducing a bug"; code that expected the
> > standard Unix time functions to work with dates before 01/01/1970 has
> > always been broken.
>
> But it doesn't change the fact that glibc has now changed and made
> previously working systems fail.

So if I write code that relies on 'x = x++;' working a particular way,
and a new version of the compiler changes the behaviour, it's the
compiler's fault?

> You see, postgresql ignores the return value of mktime, it just uses
> the daylight savings and timezone flags.

Please quote the place in the C or Posix standard that says those flags
are valid if the return code indicates an error. Hmmm, I've always had a
bias towards postgres vs. mysql, but if they can't read simple standards
and are in the habit of ignoring return codes, I'll have to revisit the
topic.

Oh, never mind. The whole discussion is off-topic. I"m just tired of
people who write crap code and then blame others when it breaks. to be
fair, for all I know the postgresql people have not said anything except
"Oops, we'll fix that," so this mini-rant is not aimed at them.)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net