Recent glibc time_t redefinition?

Hi,

I must have been hiding under a rock, but I've just discovered (read: been
bitten) by what would seem to be a glibc redefinition of how epoch times
are handled. Pre-1970 dates aren't handled by mktime() and friends any
more. Looks like it happened around September-October last year from a few
bug reports I've seen around the place.

I'm more interested in reading the rationale behind the breakage than
anything else. I've been Googling, but can't find much from that
timeframe. What alerted me to it in the first place was this[1] bug
report.

Can anyone provide me with mailing list archive URLs from when this change
would have been discussed publically?

Thanks

Andrew

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2002-09/msg00146.php