Re: Some ideas about the Debian Runlevel System

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:28:43AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> If I install a package like, say, samba, it will set itself up to run in
> runlevels 2-5. If I decide that I want runlevel 2 to be "no network",
> then what is the recommended Debian way to enforce this? If I just
> remove the symlink /etc/rc2.d/S20samba, will it reappear the next time I
> upgrade samba? Will it reappear if I remove samba and then reinstall it?

No, it will not appear on upgrade or re-installation.  The symlinks will
only appear (in their default configuration) if *none* of them already
exist.  So, if you purge a package (which deletes all the symlinks) and
re-install it, you'll get the links back.  Otherwise, your choices won't
be overwritten by the installation/upgrade of a package.

I never said that I didn't like the features that we make available to
the sysadmin with our init system.  My complaint has always been that we
should either *use* sysvinit by default or leave it as an option to
sysadmins who want its features.

noah