Re: C++ transition stumbling blocks?

Robert Woodcock <rcw@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 08:56:36PM +0100, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> > Yes, but if users have installed the library, it will persist. And
> > packages depending on the library should be rebuilt. It doesn't matter
> > that ABI has changed, as long as API hasn't.
>
> If you don't care about the immediate future, this is correct.
>
> > Do you really want to say that id3lib breaks *API* with every
> > micro version?
>
> No, it doesn't.

Well then it makes no sense to make a new source package for each
micro version.

> > Just consider other C++ library packages, such as libsigc++: It has a
> > 1.2 encoded into the library name and source package (not 1.2.x).
>
> id3lib has all three numbers in the soname.

Yes, but that again is no reason to have distinct source package names
for all micro versions.

> > In the course of the 1.2.x releases, they broke ABI and API (even in a
> > quite severe way, once), but there were no 1.2.x source packages due to
> > this. They only changed soname (and tus binary pkg name) of the shared
> > library. I think id3lib is quite similar...
>
> Also consider glib 1.1.1_1.1.1-1, gtk 1.1.x, libogg/libvorbis, etc.

IIRC, there were different source package names for development
versions and stable versions, but I still have to hear from a package
(besides id3lib) where there were different source pkg names for
(e.g.)  1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, ...

> Upstream breaking the ABI without updating the soname does suck, and it
> sounds like you handled it correctly, but that's not what has happened here.

Well, I'm not wanting to change your SONAME handling, but I still
don't get what keeps you from using one id3lib3.8 source package.

> Anyway, new packages are in incoming. Let me know if zinf has any problem
> building with them.

It's not that using a different src pkg name will cause trouble for
dependant packages, but it is

(a) a hassle to maintain (well thats your problem, I guess).
(b) causes more work for the FTP masters

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Dru@ICQ        | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc