Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 10:33, Drew Parsons wrote:

> Sounds about right.  But which core font exactly?!  "fixed"?

I am not sure, honestly.  You would probably have to dig into Pango
internals to find out, at least for GTK+.

> I don't usually use GNOME, but using Applications->Desktop Preferences->Font
> did change the font while I was. Only problem was I couldn't find the X core
> font that I want listed there.

I have gotten bug reports about some fonts not showing up...that could
be a fontconfig bug.

> <alias>
>        <family>sans-serif</family>
>        <prefer>
>                <family>Rudelsberg</family>
>        </prefer>
> </alias>

Yep, something like that should work.  Honestly though, while I know a
bit about fontconfig, I am far from an expert :/

Given that Debian unstable is one of the first mainstream operating
systems to deploy GTK+2.2/fontconfig, I think all common idioms and such
haven't been figured out.

By the way, in my tests, once you've used the GNOME dialog to set the
GTK+ font, it will override the fontconfig default until you log out and
log back in.  Basically gnome-settings-daemon will read the key from
GConf, and set the X property, which all GTK+ apps then pick up and use.

> Is there any documentation for fontconfig?

There is a man page.