Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 03:12:42AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 01:58, Drew Parsons wrote:
>
> > You're right, it does work.  I was getting my font complaints mixed up. When
> > I use the GDK_USE_XFT=0 trick, I get a nice small, neat font (which just
> > happens to not be anti-aliased; I probably wouldn't actually mind if it was
> > anti-aliased).
>
> Without Xft, that would be an X core font, drawn using the core X font
> rendering; so it can't be antialiased.

Sounds about right.  But which core font exactly?!  "fixed"?

> > I don't even know how to find out the names of these two different default
> > fonts!
>
> Ok, so that's actually a sort of complicated question.  If you don't use
> GNOME at all, then I believe the font chosen will be determined soley by
> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, and ~/.fonts.conf.  Look at how it matches font
> names to families.  Since most applications don't request a particular
> font, you will get the GTK+ default of "sans", as I understand it.
>
> If you do use GNOME, then what happens is that GNOME
> (gnome-settings-daemon) will set the default font for GTK+, by using
> these X property thingies.  So you will get whatever you put in there
> instead of Sans.
>
> So if you want to change the font used by GTK+ 2.2 applications, you can
> either edit ~/.fonts.conf to change what the "sans" alias refers to, or
> if you use GNOME, you just go to
> Applications->Desktop Preferences->Font.

I don't usually use GNOME, but using Applications->Desktop Preferences->Font
did change the font while I was. Only problem was I couldn't find the X core
font that I want listed there.

I couldn't make any sense of /etc/fonts/fonts.conf for setting the default
"sans" font.  I tried adding to ~/.fonts.conf settings like

<alias>
       <family>Rudelsberg</family>
</alias>

or

<alias>
       <family>sans-serif</family>
       <prefer>
               <family>Rudelsberg</family>
       </prefer>
</alias>

but nothing I tried changed the font. (I used Rudelsberg just to make it
obvious when I picked the right syntax).

Is there any documentation for fontconfig?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A