Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 01:58, Drew Parsons wrote:

> You're right, it does work.  I was getting my font complaints mixed up. When
> I use the GDK_USE_XFT=0 trick, I get a nice small, neat font (which just
> happens to not be anti-aliased; I probably wouldn't actually mind if it was
> anti-aliased).

Without Xft, that would be an X core font, drawn using the core X font
rendering; so it can't be antialiased.

> The .fonts.conf trick gives me the same chunky font as the anti-aliased one
> that I don't like (and disabling the anti-aliasing only makes it worse). I
> realise now it's the font itself I don't like, rather than the anti-aliasing
> effect.
>
> I wish I understood better how GTK gets it's default fonts (I don't really
> want to override the default).  The difference obviously is in the default
> font that XFT supplies, compared to the one that is supplied without it.

I guess you could look at it that way, yeah.

> I don't even know how to find out the names of these two different default
> fonts!

Ok, so that's actually a sort of complicated question.  If you don't use
GNOME at all, then I believe the font chosen will be determined soley by
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf, and ~/.fonts.conf.  Look at how it matches font
names to families.  Since most applications don't request a particular
font, you will get the GTK+ default of "sans", as I understand it.

If you do use GNOME, then what happens is that GNOME
(gnome-settings-daemon) will set the default font for GTK+, by using
these X property thingies.  So you will get whatever you put in there
instead of Sans.

So if you want to change the font used by GTK+ 2.2 applications, you can
either edit ~/.fonts.conf to change what the "sans" alias refers to, or
if you use GNOME, you just go to
Applications->Desktop Preferences->Font.

I hope that helps.