Re: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 01:49:00PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 11:01, Drew Parsons wrote:
>
> > This does not appear to work for just GTK+2 (without GNOME).  My application
> > (gworldclock) still has the unwanted antialiasing.  Is there any way to get
> > GTK to handle the same sort of configuration setting?
>
> I just tried it work gworldclock here, and it does disable
> antialiasing.  Are you sure you're using GTK+ 2.2?

You're right, it does work.  I was getting my font complaints mixed up. When
I use the GDK_USE_XFT=0 trick, I get a nice small, neat font (which just
happens to not be anti-aliased; I probably wouldn't actually mind if it was
anti-aliased).

The .fonts.conf trick gives me the same chunky font as the anti-aliased one
that I don't like (and disabling the anti-aliasing only makes it worse). I
realise now it's the font itself I don't like, rather than the anti-aliasing
effect.

I wish I understood better how GTK gets it's default fonts (I don't really
want to override the default).  The difference obviously is in the default
font that XFT supplies, compared to the one that is supplied without it.

I don't even know how to find out the names of these two different default
fonts!

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A