Re: Setting global env variables [was: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]]

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 02:57:21PM +0100, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:

> > I think I wrote this to you before: Ship a small bash-scriplet
> > (it'll be sourced, not executed) as
> > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/75xprt-xprintorg_setenv that sets the
> > environment-variable.
>
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have something like /etc/environment.d/*
> from which /etc/environment is created?

One problem with /etc/environment is that it's supposed to be simple
name/value pairs, not executable script.  The value I want to set looks like
XPSERVERLIST=`/etc/init.d/xprint get_xpserverlist`
where the value is generated dynamically by the Xprint machinery.
/etc/environment can't accept this (it returns the literal string
'`/etc/init.d/xprint get_xpserverlist`').

I was going to ask a similar question about /etc/profile.d before I realised
/etc/profile isn't generic enough for my needs.  I'd still be interested to
know why Debian doesn't support an /etc/profile.d mechanism (I believe
Solaris, for instance, does have it).

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A