Re: Setting global env variables [was: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]]

la, 18-01-2003 kello 15:57, Bas Zoetekouw kirjoitti:
> Wouldn't it make more sense to have something like /etc/environment.d/*
> from which /etc/environment is created?

It tends to be bad design, particularly from a sysadmin, packaging, and
user point of view, to require environment variables to be set for a
program to work. Thus, I think it is a bad idea to encourage such broken
designs with /etc/environment.d.

(For the programs in case, I'd recommend patching them to read
~/.xpserverlist and /etc/xpserverlist -- pick suitable names -- if the
environment variable is not set.)