Re: Setting global env variables [was: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]]

Bas Zoetekouw <bas@debian.org> wrote:
> You wrote:
>>> The situation is with Xprint, the X11 printing system provided by
>>> xprt-xprintorg (or xprt, sort of).  Client programs such as
>>> mozilla require environment variable XPSERVERLIST to be set to
>>> make use of it.  Now the variable "belongs" to xprt*, but it's
>>> used by mozilla and others (if it's not set, they just use the
>>> "normal" printing system).
>> [...]

>> I think I wrote this to you before: Ship a small bash-scriplet
>> (it'll be sourced, not executed) as
>> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/75xprt-xprintorg_setenv that sets the
>> environment-variable.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to have something like /etc/environment.d/*
> from which /etc/environment is created?

I'd really like to see that. And something like ~/.environment[1]. ;-)

I just wanted to propose a solution for Drew's problem that works now,
he needs the variable only for X11 and using Xsession.d will work.
               cu andreas
[1] ~/.profile does not do the trick for X, sourcing it in
~/.xsessionrc won't work if you do not choose the "default" session in
$displaymanager (e.g. kdm)
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_