rationalising the group for CD-recording

I've raised a bug (#177253, and #174584 is related) in xcdroast concerning
the group it assigns to binaries to allow non-root users to access
CD-writing devices.

xcdroast wants to assign group "xcdwrite" to a number of
binaries, both its own (xcdrwrap) and those of other packages (cdrecord,
mkisofs, cdda2wav, readcd), so that they do not have to be run as root.

The problem is that the cdrecord package assigns group "cdrom" to cdrecord
to do the same thing, hence xcdroast and cdrecord are in conflict.

I'm raising the issue here on debian-devel to let the maintainers of other
cd-writing packages know if you also need the cd-writing group for your
binaries, so you can agree on one common name for the group.

In my opinion, "cdwrite" makes more sense than cdrecord's "cdrom", but the
actual name doesn't matter much, so long as all packages use the same one.

Whatever name you decide on, should it go into Policy so that any future
maintainers of cd-writing packages can use the same one?  Section 10.2.1 says
some group IDs are reserved for use by packages, but doesn't specify what those
groups are or what their names are.

Drew
--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A