Re: question regarding prelinking (was: (inc. note from dpkg developers) (was: Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking))

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 10:59:51AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> So, prelinking seems to be basically an optional and safe thing to do for
> some speedup, so far.
>
> Now the golden question: are debs made in a box with prelinked libraries
> (note that prelink was NOT run on the build tree. Just the system libraries
> are pre-linked) any different from ones built in a pristine system?
>
> After all, we don't want to ship debs with prelink information (in their
> depenencies) out there.

No, they're no different, always modulo linker bugs.  The information that
prelink encodes in a library is not normally passed to users of the
library.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz