Re: (inc. note from dpkg developers) Re: Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> I tried to get Wichert's attention before answering, but he's gone to
> sleep, so I'll just say it here:
>
> Your position as a dpkg developer does not give you a godlike hat of
> policy setting, and is the wrong forum from which to make such
> decisions about technologies you've demonstrated that you do not
> understand properly.

I never said anything about policy.  But we dpkg developers need to be
convinced about the viability of such features, and this has not yet been
done.

Automatic file modifications, for any means, is a rather serious flaw, imho.