Setting global env variables [was: Congrats! [gnome font rendering]]

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:28:08AM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:

> >> I'm inclined to agree the anti-aliased fonts look awful.  Is there
> >> somewhere specific that GDK_USE_XFT should be set, or should it
> >> just be exported in /etc/profile?
> >
> > You cant set it in /etc/environment.
>
> Sure you can.  If you use startx, exporting from /etc/profile works
> fine; if you use a display manager, you'll need to export it from
> Xsetup or whatever.

I think I need to understand how to do this properly for one of my
packages.  Can you elaborate on "Xsetup"?  How do you generically ensure
environment variables get set globally for any X application (whether you
turn on X via startx or via [xkg]gm)?  Someone suggested /etc/login.defs,
would this the file to use?

And how can a package set the global environment variables it needs?  For
instance, with regards to /etc/profile, we don't have an /etc/profile.d
directory to write package-specific config files to, like other unices have.
Can I only get /etc/login.defs (or whatever) set by leaving the system
administrator an instruction to change it by hand?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A