Re: (inc. note from dpkg developers) Re: Bug#XXXXXX: (far too many packages) needs rebuilt for prelinking

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:57:02AM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 08:33:41PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> > At which point you have duplicates of all your libraries.  In addition to
> > wasting 167MB on my system, you've created a whole slew of unreproducible
> > bug reports when libraries get out of sync.
>
> Doesn't prelinking create a similar situation by modifying binaries so that
> they no longer match what is distributed?
>
> (note: I want no part of the rest of this thread or the emotional reactions
> therein)

The theory is, no.  Unreproducible bug reports, possibly, when you hit
a prelink bug - but those are pretty rare now, as rare as linker bugs
(i.e. not unheard of, but very uncommon).

There's no potential for getting out of sync, because there's only one
copy; that concerns me more.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz