Re: suggested virtual package name: dns-server

> On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 18:25, Toni Mueller wrote:
> > I'm stumbling across a load of dns server software that conflict in
> > imho spurious ways with each other.

Spurious is exactly the right word to use, and the answer is not to have
a dns-server virtual package to conflict with, but instead remove the
conflicts. If the only reason they conflict is because they have the
potential to listen on the same port, then they should NOT conflict. As
someone else pointed out, most can be configured to listen on different
ports, or different addresses, or both.

OTOH, if they conflict for other reasons (such as using the same binary
name or configuration files - I suppose bind and bind9 might fall
into this category), then they need to explicitly conflict with those
packages that actually cause a problem.

On 09-Jan-03, 11:54 (CST), Martin List-Petersen <martin@list-petersen.dk> wrote:
> --
> "I don't know what their
>  gripe is.  A critic is
>  simply someone paid to
>  render opinions glibly."
> 			     "Critics are grinks and
> 			      groinks."
> -- Baron and Badger, from Badger comics

Ah, yes, the old Moriarty (aka Jeff Meyer) comics quote list. I remember
it well.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland